3-D imaging surgery can cure skull disorders
Kolkata: Craniosynostosis, a rare skull disorder in newborns in India, can now be successfully treated with surgery based on 3-D imaging, doctors said here Tuesday.
"With one in 2,000 to 2,500 infants being diagnosed with craniosynostosis in India, which has life altering complications, such advanced surgeries based on 3-D imaging are the best options available in the country," said Richa S. Debgupta, facility director of Fortis Hospitals, Kolkata, that recently performed such a surgery on a six-month-old.
Craniosynostosisis is a birth defect that causes one or more sutures on a baby`s skull to close earlier than normal. This results in increased pressure inside the brain, which leads to facial deformities and blindness if not treated properly.
"Due to increasing intracranial pressure, the forehead does not grow fully. The skull would be defective and distorted and loss of vision would result eventually. Eyeballs would also protrude abnormally," said Dr. Amitabha Chanda, consultant neurosurgeon at Fortis Hospitals who was part of the team that performed the surgery.
"Usually the method used to treat this is to relieve the intracranial pressure through surgery. However, this does not eliminate facial distortion or blindness," Dr. Chanda said.
According to him, a surgical procedure based on a 3-D map of the skull can take care of such complications.
"This type of surgery is a unique cranio-facial approach to such a problem. It helps the child lead a normal life," said Dr. Srijon Mukherjee, consultant maxillofacial surgeon at Fortis Hospital here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced