3D model of human parasite to help curb malaria
New York: There might soon be new approaches to tackle the deadly malaria.
A research team at University of California, Riverside has generated a 3D model of the human malaria parasite genome at three different stages in the parasite's life cycle.
The parasite that causes malaria in humans is Plasmodium falciparum.
To understand the biology of an organism, scientists need to understand the information encoded in the genome sequence.
They also need to know how the sequence is compacted and physically organised in each cell/tissue and how changes in the 3D genome architecture can play a critical role in regulating gene expression.
In human cells, changes in chromosome organisation and compaction can lead to diseases such as cancer.
“Understanding the spatial organisation of chromosomes is essential to comprehend the regulation of gene expression in any eukaryotic cell,” said lead author Karine Le Roch, an associate professor of cell biology and neuroscience at University of California.
According to the World Health Organisation, an estimated 207 million people were infected with malaria in 2012, leading to 627,000 deaths.
"If we understand how the malaria parasite genome is organised in the nucleus and which components control this organisation, we may be able to disrupt this architecture and disrupt, too, the parasite development," Le Roch said.
Now we can more carefully search for components or drugs that can disrupt this organisation, helping in the identification of new anti-malaria strategies, he added.
We found, to our surprise, that the genome architecture is closely linked to virulence even in the case of the malaria parasite, he said in the study published in the journal Genome Research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video