55 dengue cases detected in Odisha, 1 dead so far
Bhubaneswar: At least one person has so far died and 55 others tested positive to dengue virus this year following which the Odisha government made provision of free blood test in three state-run medical college hospitals and seven other places, official sources said Wednesday.
Health and Family Welfare Minister Atanu S Nayak told reporters that the lone death had occurred in Jagatsinghpur on July 28 while the highest case of ten affected had been reported from Khurda district comprising the capital Bhubaneswar.
"As one person died of dengue, the state government has made provision of free blood test. Of the total 7007 blood samples tested so far, 55 have tested positive to dengue virus," Nayak said.
The minister said the places where free blood tests were being done comprised three state run medical colleges at Cuttack, Burla and Berhampur besides, district headquarter hospitals at Balasore, Sundergarh, Kalahandi, Koraput and Angul. This apart, dengue blood tests were done free at MCL Hospital, he said.
Of the 55 dengue positive cases, 19 persons had brought the infection from outside the state, Nayak said adding that 17 persons had visited Bengaluru and two others Chennai.
Asked about the condition of five patients undergoing treatment at SCB Medical College Hospital, the minister said, "their condition was out of danger."
Last year, the number of dengue cases by end of July was 318 out of 1354 blood samples tested, the minister said adding that the people are gradually becoming aware of the disease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown