55 dengue cases detected in Odisha, 1 dead so far
Bhubaneswar: At least one person has so far died and 55 others tested positive to dengue virus this year following which the Odisha government made provision of free blood test in three state-run medical college hospitals and seven other places, official sources said Wednesday.
Health and Family Welfare Minister Atanu S Nayak told reporters that the lone death had occurred in Jagatsinghpur on July 28 while the highest case of ten affected had been reported from Khurda district comprising the capital Bhubaneswar.
"As one person died of dengue, the state government has made provision of free blood test. Of the total 7007 blood samples tested so far, 55 have tested positive to dengue virus," Nayak said.
The minister said the places where free blood tests were being done comprised three state run medical colleges at Cuttack, Burla and Berhampur besides, district headquarter hospitals at Balasore, Sundergarh, Kalahandi, Koraput and Angul. This apart, dengue blood tests were done free at MCL Hospital, he said.
Of the 55 dengue positive cases, 19 persons had brought the infection from outside the state, Nayak said adding that 17 persons had visited Bengaluru and two others Chennai.
Asked about the condition of five patients undergoing treatment at SCB Medical College Hospital, the minister said, "their condition was out of danger."
Last year, the number of dengue cases by end of July was 318 out of 1354 blood samples tested, the minister said adding that the people are gradually becoming aware of the disease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbseresults.nic.in working now, check your CBSE Class 10 Board Results 2015
- cbse.nic.in Board Results 2015: CBSE Class 10 Results declared on cbseresults.nic.in
- Watch: Young Sikh boy takes on a bully outside UK school
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Breast cancer changes bone structure to make it spread: Study