Altered `ecstasy` could kill some blood cancers
Sydney: Altering the chemistry of recreational drug `ecstasy` could help kill certain types of blood cancers, suggests new research.
Ecstasy or Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) was discovered in the late 1970s and early 1980s as a `party drug` because it could induce euphoria.
Matthew Piggott, associate professor at the University of Western Australia, says while researching the use of MDMA in Parkinson`s disease, they came across a paper suggesting that it may also be potent against blood cancer.
So they collaborated with John Gordon, professor at the University of Birmingham, to increase the toxicity of the drug toward blood cancer cell lines, according to a Western Australia statement.
Now, Piggott says MDMA`s structure can be "tinkered with" to create MDMA analogues (compounds structurally similar to MDMA) that could have improved therapeutic properties.
"Professor Gordon found MDMA to be weakly toxic to certain types of blood cancer cell lines, so he presented the idea of `redesigning the designer drug,`" he says.
"We contacted him and he was very keen to test our analogues - initially created for Parkinson`s disease treatment research - on his cell lines.
"Initially six compounds were screened but most were not very active. However, there was one that was 10 times more potent, and this became the basis for the next batch of analogues," says Piggott.
"We are currently at the process of making analogues of the best `lead` compound we have discovered so far - which is 100-fold more potent."
Piggott says the compounds are being evaluated using in vitro cell lines, but the next step would be testing them in an animal model of blood cancer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands