Alzheimer`s gene causes blood vessel leak in brain: Study
Washington: Scientists have identified a gene linked to Alzheimer`s disease which they say also causes a cascade of events that end with leaky blood vessels in the brain, pouring large amounts of toxic substances into brain tissue.
Researchers at the University of Rochester found that the gene, called ApoE4, works through cyclophilin A, known to be bad for the cardiovascular system, causing inflammation in atherosclerosis and other conditions.
Cyclophilin A opens the gates to the brain assault seen in Alzheimer?s, the researchers found.
"We are beginning to understand much more about how ApoE4 may be contributing to Alzheimer?s disease," lead researcher Robert Bell was quoted as saying by LiveScience.
Scientists have already established that ApoE4 makes one more prone to developing Alzheimer`s. And those who carry two copies of the gene have about eight times the risk of getting Alzheimer?s compared with others.
"In the presence of ApoE4, increased cyclophilin A causes a breakdown of the cells lining the blood vessels in Alzheimer`s disease in the same way it does in cardiovascular disease or abdominal aneurysm," Bell explained.
"This establishes a new vascular target to fight Alzheimer`s disease," he added.
According to the researchers, who detailed their findings in the journal Nature, ApoE4 gene makes it more likely that cyclophilin A will accumulate in large amounts in cells that help maintain the blood-brain barrier -- a network of tightly bound cells that line the insides of blood vessels in the brain and carefully regulates what substances are allowed to enter and exit brain tissue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan