Anti-hepatitis A shot effective for 10 years
Washington: Anti-hepatitis A virus (HAV) shots give infants immunity for least 10 years, according to latest research.
The study found that any transfer of the mother`s HAV antibodies does not lower the child`s immune response to the vaccine.
The World Health Organisation estimates that 1.4 million cases of HAV occur worldwide every year.
HAV affects the liver and typically occurs in areas with poor sanitation where ingestion of contaminated food or water can transmit the virus, the journal Hepatology reports.
Early symptoms include fatigue, fever, abdominal pain, nausea, appetite loss, jaundice, a yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes, dark urine, through which bile is excreted from the blood stream.
In the United States, HAV cases have decreased by 90 percent in the past 20 years, with roughly 20,000 new cases reported each year, thanks to routine vaccination, according to a statement of the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Umid Sharapov, a CDC epidemiologist, who led the study, said this was the first study to examine the effectiveness of a two-dose inactivated hepatitis A vaccine in children younger than two years over a 10-year period.
Researchers also investigated whether maternal anti-HAV antibody transfer to children impacts the vaccine protection against HAV. With parental consent, they enrolled full-term healthy infants at six months. Mothers were tested for total antibody to HAV.
The 197 infants and toddlers were broken into three age groups: group one - infants aged between six and 12 months; group two - toddlers between 12 and 18 months; and group three -toddlers between 15 and 21 months.
Each group was randomised by maternal anti-HAV status. HAV antibody levels were measured at one and six months, and additional follow-up took place at three, five, seven and 10 years after the second dose of hepatitis A vaccine.
At one month following the second dose of the hepatitis A vaccine, children in all groups showed signs of protection from the virus.
At the 10-year follow-up, most children retained anti-HAV protection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception