Anxiety affects cognitive skills in midlife women with HIV
New York: In midlife women with HIV, anxiety stands out as having the greatest impact on thinking skills, shows new research.
HIV infection is associated with modest deficits in multiple domains of cognitive function, even in women who regularly take their HIV medications.
Anxiety particularly affects verbal learning skills so treating anxiety may be key to improving the lives of midlife women with HIV.
"These depression and anxiety symptoms add to those cognitive vulnerabilities but can be treated," said Pauline M. Maki from University of Illinois at Chicago.
Hot flashes, depression and most of all, anxiety, affect the thinking skills of midlife women with HIV.
To understand this, the researchers studied data on 708 HIV-infected and 278 HIV-uninfected midlife women.
They found that the menopause-related thinking deficiencies are modest, limited to the time leading up to menopause and rebound after menopause.
"Mental processing speed and verbal memory were more related to depression, anxiety and hot flashes in both HIV-infected and healthy women than the stage of menopause," explained the study.
It meant that menopause stage found to have little effect on cognitive abilities, said the study published in Menopause, the journal of The North American Menopause Society (NAMS).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon