Aspirin could lower women`s colorectal cancer risk
Washington: Women who take aspirin every other day could lower their risk of developing colon cancer by 20 percent, new research has suggested.
For the study, researchers at the Brigham and Women`s Hospital in Boston, looked at 39,876 women in the age group of 45 and older.
For the study, participants took a 100 mg dose pill of aspirin or a placebo every other day from when they were enrolled in the study until 2004.
The participants also completed questionnaires about their cancer status, how often they took their medication, any negative effects, any additional aspirin use and other risk factors.
After the study, researchers followed 33,682 participants, who were not given additional aspirin or placebos for this additional time frame, through March 2012.
After nearly two decades, women in the aspirin group had a 20 percent less chance of developing colon cancer than those who were taking placebos.
And women who continued taking aspirin after the end of the trial had the lowest colon cancer risk, CBS News reported.
The study, funded by the U.S. National Cancer Institute and U.S. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, appeared in the Annals of Internal Medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!