`Aspirin safer than warfarin in preventing stroke`
London: Aspirin and warfarin, a drug also used as rat poison, are equally effective in preventing heart strokes, a new study says.
However, aspirin was safer because fewer patients suffered bleeding brought on by side-effects such as excessive blood thinning.
The study, coordinated by Columbia University Medical Centre, New York, concluded that for most patients with heart failure, who do not have other problems such as irregular beats or narrowing of the arteries, aspirin would be a better choice.
Warfarin is difficult to take because it interacts with other drugs and some foods, necessitating regular monitoring of patients to check that their blood is not thinning or remaining too sticky, the New England Journal of Medicine reports.
In England in 2010 there were more than eight million prescriptions dispensed for warfarin, according to the Telegraph.
During the study, 2,305 patients in their 60s were randomly assigned to receive either warfarin or 325 mg of aspirin daily and were followed up after an average of six years.
Researchers found that there was no significant difference in the rate of stroke, brain bleed and death, when added together as one outcome, between those on aspirin or warfarin.
The number of strokes in the warfarin group was almost half that of the aspirin group but this was offset by a doubling of major bleeds compared with aspirin, a researcher said.
Shunichi Homma, professor of medicine at Columbia, said: "Since the overall risks and benefits are similar for aspirin and warfarin, the patient and his or her doctor are free to choose the treatment that best meets their particular medical needs."However, given the convenience and low cost of aspirin, many may go this route."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly