Australian researchers to develop new TB vaccine
Melbourne: Australian researchers are set to launch a study to develop a new Tuberculosis vaccine that will boost immunity in children and protect them from allergies.
Over 1,400 children are expected to be part of this research over a two-year period.
According to a report, Scientists at University of Melbourne, Murdoch Children`s Institute and Mercy Hospital are keen to work on the vaccine, which was routinely given until the 1980s in Australia.
However, the practice was stopped after a decline in the number of people affected by TB.
Nigel Curtis of University of Melbourne said small studies have already shown positive results.
"It`s actually not understood completely how the TB vaccine kick starts the immune system in this way," he said.
"There`s plenty of evidence that it can do that, from both small studies in humans and animal studies, and the results from that did show reduced allergy in babies that had had BCG (the vaccine),` he said.
Curtis said the number of children suffering from allergies has skyrocketed in the past 20 years.
The most common allergies are eczema, food allergies, hay fever and asthma.
Curtis said the reasons for the increase in allergies are not clear, but there are a few theories.
"We live in too clean an environment and we`re not exposed to enough good bacteria and other germs early in life, in the critical period when the immune system needs a kick start to train it," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended