Australian scientists discover genes, mutation causing epilepsy
Melbourne: Using advanced gene technology, Australian scientists along with a US team have claimed to have found new genes and genetic mutation that causes severe childhood epilepsies.
Lead researcher Sam Berkovic, Director of the Epilepsy Research Centre at the University of Melbourne and Melbourne`s Austin Hospital, said, as well as providing a pathway to treating epilepsy the research provides answers to patients and families who previously had little or no idea where epilepsy had come from.
"Parents often have a belief that they`ve done something wrong that caused this disease," Berkovic said.
"Not knowing why has been one of the most frustrating things. We`ve never really had the answer. Now we do. This also stops the need for further searching and refines the treatments," he said.
A key aspect of the research has been the ability to sequence the entire human genome, Berkovic said adding "Until now we`ve had these complex patients and we didn`t know what was going on. Now all the genes are known and the jigsaw can be completed," he said.
By using the latest genetic techniques to sequence and analyse DNA of 4,000 epilepsy patients and their relatives, the study known called Epi4Ks shared DNA sequences and patient information among dozens of research institutions.
The researchers compared the exomes, or the complete sets of genes, of 264 children with the sequences of their parents who do not have epilepsy.
Differences in the sequences of parents and children were analysed to identify potential disease-causing mutations.
The study`s other joint leader Dr David Goldstein, the Director of the Human Genome Variation Centre at Duke University Medical Centre in the US, said his team`s work identified an unusually large number of disease-causing mutations and provided a wealth of new information.
"We are now headed toward a future where we can find out why people have this disease and tailor the treatment of it. It establishes a clear path to the genetic explanation of epilepsy," Dr Goldstein said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'