Baby Roona Begum with severe hydrocephalus stable but requires a lot more treatment: Doctors
Zee Media Bureau
Gurgaon: Hydrocephalus , a rare illness that has caused the 18-month-old girl from Tripura , Roona Begum’s head to swell to almost three times its original size has received overwhelming support and attention after her extraordinary case was publicized all over the country. Doctors treating baby Roona Begum, say that she is stable, but requires a lot more medical help. Doctors say they can help her but the basic treatment is about 1.25 lakhs, over and above which she will have to stay in the hospital for a few months, a huge sum of money that her parents cannot afford.
Hydrocephalus is an extremely rare condition that affects only about one in 500 children the world over. This condition is characterized by excessive fluid buildup in the head of a baby.
Doctors have been examining her but they say that they need to wait a few more weeks before they start any kind of serious intervention. Doctors have started draining fluid from the girl’s head, gradually and say that they will have to wait. The girl was moved from Tripura to Fortis at Gurgaon, Haryana.
A spokesperson from the hospital informed that the girl was stable but her clinical parameters were yet to be compromised to start any major intervention. He also said that till the other parameters improve, doctors would keep draining fluid from her head in small quantities.
Draining the fluid gradually is important to the survival of Roona because the fluid in her head has maintained a substantial amount of pressure on her brain and if this pressure were to be suddenly released, it could cause a stroke or worse cause bleeding within her brain. That is why, a gradual release of the fluid from her head has to be done which will allow her brain to adapt to the change in the internal pressure, thereby allowing it to come back to normal over a period of time.
The doctors treating her said that her head circumference had been progressively growing since birth and was an unprecedented 94-centimeters, making it one of the most complex of cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui