Baby Roona Begum with severe hydrocephalus stable but requires a lot more treatment: Doctors
Zee Media Bureau
Gurgaon: Hydrocephalus , a rare illness that has caused the 18-month-old girl from Tripura , Roona Begum’s head to swell to almost three times its original size has received overwhelming support and attention after her extraordinary case was publicized all over the country. Doctors treating baby Roona Begum, say that she is stable, but requires a lot more medical help. Doctors say they can help her but the basic treatment is about 1.25 lakhs, over and above which she will have to stay in the hospital for a few months, a huge sum of money that her parents cannot afford.
Hydrocephalus is an extremely rare condition that affects only about one in 500 children the world over. This condition is characterized by excessive fluid buildup in the head of a baby.
Doctors have been examining her but they say that they need to wait a few more weeks before they start any kind of serious intervention. Doctors have started draining fluid from the girl’s head, gradually and say that they will have to wait. The girl was moved from Tripura to Fortis at Gurgaon, Haryana.
A spokesperson from the hospital informed that the girl was stable but her clinical parameters were yet to be compromised to start any major intervention. He also said that till the other parameters improve, doctors would keep draining fluid from her head in small quantities.
Draining the fluid gradually is important to the survival of Roona because the fluid in her head has maintained a substantial amount of pressure on her brain and if this pressure were to be suddenly released, it could cause a stroke or worse cause bleeding within her brain. That is why, a gradual release of the fluid from her head has to be done which will allow her brain to adapt to the change in the internal pressure, thereby allowing it to come back to normal over a period of time.
The doctors treating her said that her head circumference had been progressively growing since birth and was an unprecedented 94-centimeters, making it one of the most complex of cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly