Blood test can predict Alzheimer`s: Study
Paris: Researchers in the United States say they have developed a prototype blood test that can tell with 90 percent accuracy whether a healthy person will develop Alzheimer`s disease within three years.
The test looks for 10 signatures of fatty proteins called lipids, according to a study published on Sunday in the journal Nature Medicine.
It could help families of people developing the cognitive disorder make early decisions on how best to care for them and may also aid the search for treatment, the authors said.
Several years of clinical trials are likely to be needed to assess the prototype technique, the first blood "biomarker" to predict the tragic degenerative disease.
Alzheimer`s, caused by toxic proteins that destroy brain cells, is a currently incurable and fatal degenerative disease.
Around 35 million people have the disease, a tally that is expected to reach 115 million people by 2050, according to the World Health Organization.
"Our novel blood test offers the potential to identify people at risk for progressive cognitive decline and can change how patients, their families and treating physicians plan for and manage the disorder," said Howard Federoff, a professor of neurology at Georgetown University Medical Center in Washington.
It could also help efforts to treat the disease, he said in a press release.
Attempts to develop drugs for Alzheimer`s have failed possibly because they are tested when the disease has progressed too far, Federoff said.
These treatments may have a better chance of braking or reversing the disease if they are trialled at a much earlier stage, he said.
The researchers started by taking blood samples from 525 healthy volunteers aged 70 and older.
Three years later, they looked at a group of 53 volunteers who had developed symptoms of early Alzheimer`s or a memory-affecting condition known as amnestic mild cognitive impairment (aMCI).
The blood samples from this group were compared against the samples from 53 otherwise healthy volunteers to see what the difference was.
From this, the scientists spotted the 10 telltale lipid proteins, which appear to be metabolised residues of brain cell membranes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark