BMI has no role in CVD risk in metabolically healthy women
Washington: Metabolically healthy women have same cardiovascular disease risk regardless of their having different BMIs, according to a study.
Dr Soren Skott Andersen and Dr Michelle Schmiegelow from Denmark findings in more than 260,000 subjects suggest that obese women have a window of opportunity to lose weight and avoid developing a metabolic disorder, which would increase their CVD risk.
The study used Danish national health databases and followed 261,489 women who had given birth during 2004-2009 with no prior history of cardiovascular disease. The women were divided into four categories according to their pre-pregnancy body mass index (BMI, kg/m2) and presence of metabolic disorders (present/not present). The women`s mean age was 31 years.
The women were followed for an average of 5 years following childbirth. Discharge diagnoses and data on cause of death were used to determine if the women had a heart attack, a stroke, or died.
The researchers found that being overweight ( BMI=25 kg/m2) but metabolically healthy was not associated with an increased risk of a heart attack, stroke or a combination of heart attack/stroke/death in comparison with normal weight, metabolically healthy women.
The investigators found that the metabolically unhealthy, overweight women had an almost 7-fold increased risk of heart attack and a 4-fold increased risk of stroke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- Arjun Kapoor to have double role in 'Mubaraka'
- WATCH: TERRIFYING! Ten times Brock Lesnar showed no mercy to his WWE opponents
- Why locals in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir are protesting against Nawaz Sharif's PML(N), ISI – Watch video
- Akshay Kumar to start Divya Khosla's next in September
- Woman killed for dowry in Etah; husband, five others booked