Botox can help women with bladder problems
London: Botox, best known for smoothing out facial wrinkles, could be an effective treatment for women suffering from overactive bladder syndrome, scientists have claimed.
Researchers at Leicester University in the UK found that injecting a small quantity of the toxic directly into the wall of the bladder improves symptoms in women who too often hear the call of the bathroom.
It halved the numbers of times when women with moderate to severe urinary incontinence urgently needed the lavatory, or ended up having a little accident, the researchers found.
It also cut the number of times they needed the bathroom by a quarter, they said.
Dr Douglas Tincello, who led the study, said: "Overactive bladder syndrome is a relatively common health issue which affects up to a fifth of women aged 40 and over."
"The study hopefully means much better treatment for this condition which can severely impact on quality of life and cause women considerable embarrassment," Dr Tincello was quoted as saying.
The study was carried out at eight urogynaecology centres in the UK from 2006 to 2009, involving of 240 women having the bladder problem.
The participants were split into two groups, with 122 women given Botox and 118 receiving a dummy treatment.
Researchers found improvements across a range of symptoms, including wetting oneself, feeling a need to rush to the toilet, and how often the women "leaked" urine.
However, there were side-effects -- including some women needing to use a catheter to go to the toilet because of paralysis in the bladder muscle. Some even developed urinary tract infection.
Current treatments of overactive bladder syndrome include pelvic floor exercises, behavioural therapy and drugs that can have side-effects, such as a dry mouth, constipation and blurred vision.
Results of the new study are published in the journal European Urology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga
- Waiting for Jaypee to come back to me on Indian GP's return in 2016: Bernie Ecclestone
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30