Calcium supplements up risk of heart attack: Study
New Delhi: Taking calcium supplements can double the risk of heart attack, claims a new study.
Results of the study show that people who used calcium supplements regularly were 86% more likely to suffer a heart attack than those who did not.
The new findings are based on a study conducted by researchers at German Cancer Research Centre, in Heidelberg, who followed 23,980 people, aged 35-64, for over a decade.
During the period 354 of participants had heart attack and 260 had a stroke. There were 267 associated deaths during the course of study.
For long doctors have recommended calcium supplements to strengthen bones and prevent osteoporotic fractures.
However, a few researches in the past have linked calcium intake in form of supplements to kidney stones, gut and abdominal symptoms.
The researchers in the study have suggested that the supplement be used with great caution and only in case one has a medical condition that requires additional intake of calcium.
Most people have a misconception that popping a pill or two of the calcium supplement can help strengthen bones and prevent bone loss during old age. However, the new study contradicts the commonly held belief and endorses intake of calcium through a balanced diet, until and unless there is a medical need.
The study has been published in the journal Heart.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam