Cancer therapy cures two Australian patients of HIV
Sydney: In a piece of good news after the sad announcement a few days ago about HIV virus rebounding in the "Mississippi Baby", scientists have uncovered two new cases of HIV patients in whom the virus has become undetectable.
The two Australian men became apparently HIV-free after receiving stem cells to treat cancer, the scientific journal Nature reported.
"They are still on anti-retroviral therapy (ART) 'as a precaution' but those drugs alone could not be responsible for bringing the virus to such low levels," said David Cooper, director of the Kirby Institute at University of New South Wales in Sydney.
Cooper and his team scanned the archives of St Vincent's hospital in Sydney - one of the largest bone-marrow centres in Australia - and found these two patients.
The first patient had received a bone-marrow transplant for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2011.
The other had been treated for leukemia in 2012.
Because of the risk of relapse, Cooper's team will not claim that their patients are completely cured.
According to Cooper, the results show that "there is something about bone-marrow transplantation in people with HIV that has an anti-HIV reservoir effect, such that the reservoirs go down to very low levels".
If we can understand what is that and how that happens, it will really accelerate the field of cure search, Cooper added.
At the moment, there is only one person in the world who is still considered cured of HIV - Timothy Ray Brown.
This "Berlin patient" received a bone-marrow transplant and has had no signs of the virus in his blood for six years without ART.
Stem-cell transplant in itself cannot be used as a routine HIV treatment because of the high mortality (10 percent) associated with the procedure, the Nature report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!