Chromosome that causes Down`s syndrome `switched off`
London: Researchers from the US have been able to correct the genetic fault that causes Down`s syndrome and as a result have raised the prospect of therapy for the disorder.
The researchers took cells from people suffering from the disorder and silenced the extra chromosome, which causes the condition, an English daily reported.
Scientists have lauded the new breakthrough and said that it was the first major step towards a `chromosome therapy.`
Jeanne Lawrence, who led the team at the University of Massachusetts, said that the findings will help accelerate understanding of the cellular defects in the disorder and if they can be treated with certain drugs.
She said that the long-range possibility is a chromosome therapy for Down`s syndrome, however, she said that it is 10 years or more away.
Her team used `genome editing` - a procedure allowing DNA to be cut and pasted, to drop a gene called XIST into the extra chromosome in cells taken from people suffering from the disorder.
Once in place, the gene causes a build-up of a version of a molecule called RNA that coats the extra chromosome and ultimately shuts it down.
The team also told how cells corrected for an extra chromosome 21 grew better, and developed swiftly into early-stage brain cells.
The writing has been published in the journal Nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands