Chromosome that causes Down`s syndrome `switched off`
London: Researchers from the US have been able to correct the genetic fault that causes Down`s syndrome and as a result have raised the prospect of therapy for the disorder.
The researchers took cells from people suffering from the disorder and silenced the extra chromosome, which causes the condition, an English daily reported.
Scientists have lauded the new breakthrough and said that it was the first major step towards a `chromosome therapy.`
Jeanne Lawrence, who led the team at the University of Massachusetts, said that the findings will help accelerate understanding of the cellular defects in the disorder and if they can be treated with certain drugs.
She said that the long-range possibility is a chromosome therapy for Down`s syndrome, however, she said that it is 10 years or more away.
Her team used `genome editing` - a procedure allowing DNA to be cut and pasted, to drop a gene called XIST into the extra chromosome in cells taken from people suffering from the disorder.
Once in place, the gene causes a build-up of a version of a molecule called RNA that coats the extra chromosome and ultimately shuts it down.
The team also told how cells corrected for an extra chromosome 21 grew better, and developed swiftly into early-stage brain cells.
The writing has been published in the journal Nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi