Common cold: Symptoms, treatment and prevention
Common cold is often described as a sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, or tearing. Though, colds are very common, they are more widespread in children and decline with age. Colds are rarely dangerous to healthy adults or children, but may seldom be dangerous to infants, the elderly or other at-risk groups.
Common cold is caused by a virus and is contagious. About 200 different types of viruses are there that cause common cold. Most cases of the common cold are mild, and most people recover from the common cold without complications.
Symptoms of the common cold are low-grade fever, sneezing , watery eyes, runny nose, stuffy nose, body aches, headache, fatigue, sore throat, and cough.
Correct diagnosis of a cold usually means distinguishing between cold and the more serious flu. There are also other conditions that start like a cold (e.g. rare but serious whooping cough) and numerous conditions that have cold-like symptoms or flu-like symptoms. Although there are numerous different subtypes of colds, diagnosis of the specific subtype of cold is rarely performed and not usually important for treatment.
There`s no cure for the common cold currently, but there are ways to protect you from getting it.
Alternative Treatments for Common cold
Alternative treatments or home remedies that have been listed in various sources as possibly beneficial for Common cold may include:
• Vitamin C
• Vitamin E
• Vitamin A
Causes of Common cold
• Human metapneumovirus
• Coronavirus 229E, Human
• Respiratory syncytial virus
Latest Treatments for Common cold
• Humidified inspired air
• Saline nasal spray
• Topical decongestants
Prevention of Common cold
Prevention information for Common cold has been compiled from various data sources and may be inaccurate or incomplete. None of these methods guarantee prevention of Common cold.
• Avoid exposure to people with colds
• Hand washing
• Avoid touching eyes or nose with your hands
• Cleaning with disinfectant - on surfaces that may be contagious.
Compiled by: Salome Phelamei
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'