Common cold: Symptoms, treatment and prevention
Common cold is often described as a sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, or tearing. Though, colds are very common, they are more widespread in children and decline with age. Colds are rarely dangerous to healthy adults or children, but may seldom be dangerous to infants, the elderly or other at-risk groups.
Common cold is caused by a virus and is contagious. About 200 different types of viruses are there that cause common cold. Most cases of the common cold are mild, and most people recover from the common cold without complications.
Symptoms of the common cold are low-grade fever, sneezing , watery eyes, runny nose, stuffy nose, body aches, headache, fatigue, sore throat, and cough.
Correct diagnosis of a cold usually means distinguishing between cold and the more serious flu. There are also other conditions that start like a cold (e.g. rare but serious whooping cough) and numerous conditions that have cold-like symptoms or flu-like symptoms. Although there are numerous different subtypes of colds, diagnosis of the specific subtype of cold is rarely performed and not usually important for treatment.
There`s no cure for the common cold currently, but there are ways to protect you from getting it.
Alternative Treatments for Common cold
Alternative treatments or home remedies that have been listed in various sources as possibly beneficial for Common cold may include:
• Vitamin C
• Vitamin E
• Vitamin A
Causes of Common cold
• Human metapneumovirus
• Coronavirus 229E, Human
• Respiratory syncytial virus
Latest Treatments for Common cold
• Humidified inspired air
• Saline nasal spray
• Topical decongestants
Prevention of Common cold
Prevention information for Common cold has been compiled from various data sources and may be inaccurate or incomplete. None of these methods guarantee prevention of Common cold.
• Avoid exposure to people with colds
• Hand washing
• Avoid touching eyes or nose with your hands
• Cleaning with disinfectant - on surfaces that may be contagious.
Compiled by: Salome Phelamei
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test