Common cold: Symptoms, treatment and prevention
Common cold is often described as a sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, or tearing. Though, colds are very common, they are more widespread in children and decline with age. Colds are rarely dangerous to healthy adults or children, but may seldom be dangerous to infants, the elderly or other at-risk groups.
Common cold is caused by a virus and is contagious. About 200 different types of viruses are there that cause common cold. Most cases of the common cold are mild, and most people recover from the common cold without complications.
Symptoms of the common cold are low-grade fever, sneezing , watery eyes, runny nose, stuffy nose, body aches, headache, fatigue, sore throat, and cough.
Correct diagnosis of a cold usually means distinguishing between cold and the more serious flu. There are also other conditions that start like a cold (e.g. rare but serious whooping cough) and numerous conditions that have cold-like symptoms or flu-like symptoms. Although there are numerous different subtypes of colds, diagnosis of the specific subtype of cold is rarely performed and not usually important for treatment.
There`s no cure for the common cold currently, but there are ways to protect you from getting it.
Alternative Treatments for Common cold
Alternative treatments or home remedies that have been listed in various sources as possibly beneficial for Common cold may include:
• Vitamin C
• Vitamin E
• Vitamin A
Causes of Common cold
• Human metapneumovirus
• Coronavirus 229E, Human
• Respiratory syncytial virus
Latest Treatments for Common cold
• Humidified inspired air
• Saline nasal spray
• Topical decongestants
Prevention of Common cold
Prevention information for Common cold has been compiled from various data sources and may be inaccurate or incomplete. None of these methods guarantee prevention of Common cold.
• Avoid exposure to people with colds
• Hand washing
• Avoid touching eyes or nose with your hands
• Cleaning with disinfectant - on surfaces that may be contagious.
Compiled by: Salome Phelamei
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced