Cure for AIDS possible, says Nobel Prize winner
London: Nobel Prize winning scientist Francoise Barre-Sinoussi - discoverer of HIV - has said that a cure for AIDS now "might be possible."
Barre-Sinoussi told The Times that with renewed scientific efforts, an end to AIDS can be achieved.
The 65-year-old French virologist said that we are now in a position that we have evidence suggesting that a cure might be possible and have to stimulate funding for research into cures, the Telegraph reported.
She asserted that it`s ongoing, and it will take time, but more and more data is indicating that we have to move forward and work on a cure.
Barre-Sinoussi said that while antiretroviral drugs had been successful in helping people to live normal lives while infected, it was also important to try to find more permanent solutions to the disease.
"What we have today is wonderful progress, but we have to consider other solutions for the future," said Professor Barre-Sinoussi said.
She added that it`s wonderful to have antiretrovirals today but if we can improve so that people`s treatment can stop, that would also be wonderful for the patient, and for the budget of the Government.
Barre-Sinoussi won the Nobel prize for medicine in 2008 together with Luc Montagnier, for their work in pinpointing the cause of AIDS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves