Cure for AIDS possible, says Nobel Prize winner
London: Nobel Prize winning scientist Francoise Barre-Sinoussi - discoverer of HIV - has said that a cure for AIDS now "might be possible."
Barre-Sinoussi told The Times that with renewed scientific efforts, an end to AIDS can be achieved.
The 65-year-old French virologist said that we are now in a position that we have evidence suggesting that a cure might be possible and have to stimulate funding for research into cures, the Telegraph reported.
She asserted that it`s ongoing, and it will take time, but more and more data is indicating that we have to move forward and work on a cure.
Barre-Sinoussi said that while antiretroviral drugs had been successful in helping people to live normal lives while infected, it was also important to try to find more permanent solutions to the disease.
"What we have today is wonderful progress, but we have to consider other solutions for the future," said Professor Barre-Sinoussi said.
She added that it`s wonderful to have antiretrovirals today but if we can improve so that people`s treatment can stop, that would also be wonderful for the patient, and for the budget of the Government.
Barre-Sinoussi won the Nobel prize for medicine in 2008 together with Luc Montagnier, for their work in pinpointing the cause of AIDS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- 120 Taliban, ISIS militants killed in wide-scale operations by Afghan army, cops
- China, Pakistan launch first joint border patrols near Xinjiang
- Mamta Kulkarni breaks silence to rebuff drug racket reports, says glamour does not tantalize her anymore
- India stands with Bangladesh in its fight against terrorism: PM Narendra Modi to Sheikh Hasina
- It's Marlon Samuels vs Virat Kohli: How two batting mainstays will decide the course of West Indies-India series