Cure for AIDS possible, says Nobel Prize winner
London: Nobel Prize winning scientist Francoise Barre-Sinoussi - discoverer of HIV - has said that a cure for AIDS now "might be possible."
Barre-Sinoussi told The Times that with renewed scientific efforts, an end to AIDS can be achieved.
The 65-year-old French virologist said that we are now in a position that we have evidence suggesting that a cure might be possible and have to stimulate funding for research into cures, the Telegraph reported.
She asserted that it`s ongoing, and it will take time, but more and more data is indicating that we have to move forward and work on a cure.
Barre-Sinoussi said that while antiretroviral drugs had been successful in helping people to live normal lives while infected, it was also important to try to find more permanent solutions to the disease.
"What we have today is wonderful progress, but we have to consider other solutions for the future," said Professor Barre-Sinoussi said.
She added that it`s wonderful to have antiretrovirals today but if we can improve so that people`s treatment can stop, that would also be wonderful for the patient, and for the budget of the Government.
Barre-Sinoussi won the Nobel prize for medicine in 2008 together with Luc Montagnier, for their work in pinpointing the cause of AIDS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!