Curved sole shoes `no better` than flat sole trainers to reduce lower back pain
London: A new study has revealed that rocker sole shoes are not better than generic trainers for reducing lower back pain.
Earlier it was claimed that shoes with curved unstable soles can have a positive impact on posture, back and joint pain, however the new research from King's College London said that normal trainers may be more beneficial for back pain brought on by standing or walking.
The study's lead researcher physiotherapist Dr Sian MacRae asked 115 people with chronic lower back pain to wear rocker sole shoes or normal trainers for at least two hours a day while standing and walking.
It was found that people in the trainer-wearing group experienced a larger reduction in disability than those in the rocker sole group after one year.
The researchers also found that after six months, 53 percent of the trainer group showed a small improvement in their back mobility compared to 31 percent of the rocker sole group.
MacRae said that the findings suggested that clinicians should be confident in advising patients with chronic lower back pain that wearing either rocker sole shoes or trainers may offer similar outcomes in disability and pain
However, the researchers added that if a patient reports lower back pain when standing or walking, it may be more beneficial to wear trainers than rocker sole shoes.
The study is published in the journal Spine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Dope scandal: Narsingh Yadav's Rio Olympics fate hangs in balance as NADA set to pronounce verdict today
- Indo-US counter-terrorism joint working group to meet today
- Hillary Clinton more qualified than anyone to serve as US president: Barack Obama
- Rahul Gandhi likely to speak on price rise in Lok Sabha today
- 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case: Ten years later, MCOCA court likely to deliver verdict today