Curved sole shoes `no better` than flat sole trainers to reduce lower back pain
London: A new study has revealed that rocker sole shoes are not better than generic trainers for reducing lower back pain.
Earlier it was claimed that shoes with curved unstable soles can have a positive impact on posture, back and joint pain, however the new research from King's College London said that normal trainers may be more beneficial for back pain brought on by standing or walking.
The study's lead researcher physiotherapist Dr Sian MacRae asked 115 people with chronic lower back pain to wear rocker sole shoes or normal trainers for at least two hours a day while standing and walking.
It was found that people in the trainer-wearing group experienced a larger reduction in disability than those in the rocker sole group after one year.
The researchers also found that after six months, 53 percent of the trainer group showed a small improvement in their back mobility compared to 31 percent of the rocker sole group.
MacRae said that the findings suggested that clinicians should be confident in advising patients with chronic lower back pain that wearing either rocker sole shoes or trainers may offer similar outcomes in disability and pain
However, the researchers added that if a patient reports lower back pain when standing or walking, it may be more beneficial to wear trainers than rocker sole shoes.
The study is published in the journal Spine.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know