Dads sleeping closer to kids `have lower testosterone levels`
Washington: Closer sleeping proximity between fathers and children is associated with a greater decrease in the father’s testosterone level, with possible implications for parenting behaviour, a new study has claimed.
Fathers’ testosterone levels have been associated with parenting behaviour and involvement across species, with higher levels generally associated with lower parental involvement.
The authors of the current study, led by Lee Gettler of the University of Notre Dame, studied 362 fathers in the Philippines to determine whether their sleeping arrangements – either sleeping on the same surface as their children, in the same room, or separately – were related to their testosterone levels.
The researchers found that close sleep proximity between fathers and their children was associated with greater decreases in testosterone level as the men transitioned to fatherhood, as well as lower overall levels relative to fathers that slept apart from their children.
The study has been published in PLOS ONE.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata