Daily pill that could reverse diabetes offers hope to millions
Washington: A daily pill that could cure diabetes is one step closer to reality, thanks to the efforts by the researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis who discovered how to reverse the condition.
The researchers have discovered a compound made naturally in the body that can reverse diabetes and restore normal blood sugar metabolism in diabetic mice.
They believe this could lead to people taking the compound like a daily vitamin as a way to treat or even prevent type 2 diabetes.
This naturally occurring compound, called nicotinamide mononucleotide, or NMN, plays a vital role in how cells use energy.
Shin-ichiro Imai, MD, PhD, associate professor of developmental biology, and his colleagues were able to normalise blood sugar levels in diabetic mice by injecting them with the chemical.
“After giving NMN, glucose tolerance goes completely back to normal in female diabetic mice,” said Imai.
“In males, we see a milder effect compared to females, but we still see an effect. These are really remarkable results. NMN improves diabetic symptoms, at least in mice,” he added.
Imai said the discovery holds promise for people because the mechanisms that NMN influences are largely the same in mice and humans.
He and his team are now working on a way of administering NMN to mice in drinking water.
“Once we can get a grade of NMN that humans can take, we would really like to launch a pilot human study,” said Imai.
The research is detailed online Oct. 4 in Cell Metabolism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash