Defective gene behind rheumatoid arthritis identified
London: A defective gene, can contribute to the onset of rheumatoid arthritis (RA), a new study has shown.
In their study, researchers from VIB (Flanders Institute for Biotechnology) and Ghent University demonstrated that a cell-specific defect in the expression of the A20 gene could contribute to the development of rheumatoid arthritis in mice, thereby identifying A20 as a possible target for the generation of new drugs.
A20 is a protein, which plays a key role in the generation of the inflammatory response.
VIB researchers led by Geert van Loo and Rudi Beyaert at Ghent University have developed mice with myeloid cells incapable of producing A20.
In collaboration with Dirk Elewaut, rheumatologist at Ghent University Hospital (Ghent University), who co-supervised the research, they found that these mice had elevated levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines in their blood and joints, and spontaneously developed RA with severe inflammation and osteoporosis.
Interestingly, the arthritis in this mouse model was not dependent on TNF, a cytokine that normally plays an essential role in many inflammatory diseases including RA.
The study confirms the crucial role of A20 in the control of inflammatory responses and shows that a defect in A20 in myeloid cells can give rise to RA that is not responsive to anti-TNF treatment.
From a therapeutic perspective, this is a very important finding, since anti-TNF therapy fails in 30 percent of RA patients.
The study has been published in Nature Genetics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'