Dementia can drain words of meaning
Sydney: Dementia can impair one`s ability to recognise words describing feelings such as `thrilled` and `annoyed`, according to the latest research.
Sharpley Hsieh and colleagues from Neuroscience Research Australia (NRA) explored how people with different types of dementia comprehend words describing sentiments such as `doubt` and `hopeful`.
"People use emotion words in everyday conversation and don`t realise it. How often do we use sentences such as `I`m frustrated` or `she`s impressed`? These are key words and you have to know them to understand a sentence," Sharpley was quoted as saying in the journal, Neuropsychology.
"Losing the concept of a toaster, for example, will impact upon a person`s quality of life, but the prevalence of words used to communicate feelings and emotion in our language must make the lack of understanding of these words so devastating for patients and their carers," Sharpley said, according to a university statement.
Sharpley found that people with Alzheimer`s disease are still able to understand these kinds of words, but people with other types of dementia are not. People suffering from semantic dementia - the second most common in people under 65 - experience a severe loss of word and conceptual knowledge.
"You can easily show a picture of a car to test this word, or a smiling face to show happiness. But feelings such as frustration or embarrassment are difficult to depict and so until now we haven`t been able to look at whether these concepts are lost in people with different dementias," Sharpley added.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues