Depression increases dementia risk
New York: The secret of preventing memory loss in old age may lie in treating depression and causes of stress early as researchers have confirmed that depression indeed increases the risk of dementia.
Having a higher level of depression symptoms was associated with a more rapid decline in thinking and memory skills, the findings showed.
"These findings are exciting because they suggest depression truly is a risk factor for dementia," said Robert Wilson from Rush University Medical Centre in the US.
"If we can target and prevent or treat depression and causes of stress we may have the potential to help people maintain their thinking and memory abilities into old age," Wilson explained.
The study involved 1,764 people with an average age of 77 who had no thinking or memory problems at the start of the study.
Participants were screened every year for symptoms of depression, such as loneliness and lack of appetite, and took tests on their thinking and memory skills for an average of eight years.
During the study, 922 people, or 52 percent of the participants, developed mild cognitive impairment (MCI) and a total of 315 people, or 18 percent, developed dementia.
People who developed mild cognitive impairment and dementia were more likely to have a higher level of symptoms of depression before they were diagnosed.
The study appeared in the journal Neurology.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!