Depression ups death risk in younger women: Study
New York: Young women are especially vulnerable to depression and moderate and severe depression may double their risk of death from heart diseases, a new study says.
Women aged 55 and below were more than twice as likely to suffer a heart attack, die of heart disease or require an artery-opening procedure if they had moderate or severe depression, the findings showed.
"Physicians need to be aware that young women are especially vulnerable to depression, and that depression may increase the risk to their heart," said Amit Shah, assistant professor of epidemiology at Emory University in the US.
The researchers assessed depression symptoms in 3,237 people with known or suspected heart disease (34 percent women, average age 62.5 years).
After nearly three years of follow-up, the researchers found that in women aged 55 and younger, each one-point increase in symptoms of depression was associated with a seven percent increase in the presence of heart disease.
"Women 55 and younger were 2.17 times as likely to suffer a heart attack, die of heart disease or require an artery-opening procedure during the follow-up period if they had moderate or severe depression," researchers noted.
In men and older women, symptoms of depression did not predict the presence of heart disease.
"All people, and especially younger women, need to take depression very seriously. Depression itself is a reason to take action, but knowing that it is associated with an increased risk of heart disease and death it should motivate people to seek help," Shah added.
The study appeared in the Journal of the American Heart Association.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report