Diabetes, high BP in middle age up dementia risks
Zee Media Bureau
New York: Diseases like diabetes and high blood pressure in middle age can significantly increase the risk of brain damage which could lead to problems like dememtia and memory loss later in life.
Ages 40 to 64 was dubbed as middle and 65 and older as old age according to researchers. Thinking and memory skills of 1,437 people with an average age of 80 were evaluated for the purpose of this study.
The participants had either no thinking or memory problems or mild memory and thinking problems called mild cognitive impairment.
They then had brain scans to look for markers of brain damage that can be a precursor to dementia. Participants' medical records were then reviewed to determine whether they had been diagnosed with diabetes or high blood pressure in middle age or later.
The researchers found that compared to people who did not have diabetes, people who developed diabetes in middle age had total brain volume an average of 2.9 percent smaller.
In the hippocampus area of the brain, which is involved in memory forming, the volume was four percent smaller, the research showed.
They were also twice as likely to have thinking and memory problems, said the study.
Compared to people who did not have high blood pressure, people who developed high blood pressure in middle age were twice as likely to have areas of brain damage.
"People who developed diabetes even in old age were also more likely to have areas of brain damage. Conversely, there were not many effects from high blood pressure that developed in old age," said Rosebud O Roberts of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
“Potentially, if we can prevent or control diabetes and high blood pressure in middle age, we can prevent or delay the brain damage that occurs decades later and leads to memory and thinking problems and dementia," concluded Roberts.
With Agency Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know