Drug-resistant malaria parasites found in Cambodia
London: Scientists have identified new drug-resistant strains of the parasite that causes malaria.
They found malaria-causing parasites in western Cambodia that are genetically different from other strains around the world.
These parasites could also withstand treatment by artemisinin - a frontline drug in the fight against malaria, the researchers found.
Reports of drug resistance in the area first emerged in 2008. The problem has since spread to other parts of South East Asia.
"All the most effective drugs that we have had in the last few decades have been one by one rendered useless by the remarkable ability of this parasite to mutate and develop resistance," the BBC quoted Dr Olivo Miotto, of the University of Oxford and Mahidol University in Thailand as saying.
As part of the study, published in the journal Nature Genetics, scientists sequenced the genomes of 800 malaria-causing parasites (Plasmodium falciparum) collected from around the world.
"When we compared the DNA of the parasites in Cambodia, they seem to have formed some new populations that we have not really seen elsewhere," Dr Miotto said.
The international team found three distinct groups of drug-resistant parasites present in the area.
The researchers said they did not yet understand what genetic mutations had occurred that enabled the parasites to withstand artemisinin treatment.
But they said that understanding their genetic fingerprint would help them to quickly spot and track these strains if they spread further.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter