`Easy-to-take` wonderpill to tackle chronic pain
London: Researchers are planning to create a wonderpill to tackle chronic pain, which gives major new hope to the eight million people who are blighted by the agonising condition.
The breakthrough could revolutionise the lives of sufferers, many of whom cannot have their pain controlled by current medicines.
It is hoped that clinical trials of a new drug will start in as little as three years` time, with hopes it could be widely available for use by 2017.
Drugs available at present only help 40 percent of patients struck by crippling pain, leaving the rest in daily agony.
A British team of experts have now identified novel compounds to help treat chronic pain without unwanted sedative side-effects.
They hope to create an easy-to-take pill which could block the pain signals.
Scientists at the University of Liverpool and the Royal Liverpool University Hospital have been awarded a 1.4-million-pound grant to design a new drug for chronic pain.
The research team is examining compounds which target the glycine receptor – one of the main receptors in the central nervous system – which is crucial in the sensation of chronic pain.
They have already identified compounds which they think could be used as the basis of new treatments.
“This is an exciting project that expands our drug discovery into a new therapeutic area with a huge unmet medical need. Our team has made significant advances in this area and this funding provides us with the opportunity to drive the project forward towards an entirely new class of drug for the treatment of chronic pain conditions,” the Daily Expess quoted
Professor Martin Leuwer, a member of the research team, as saying.
“We`re aiming to develop molecules that target the glycine receptor into a drug that can be administered as a tablet.
“Our ultimate aim is to allow chronic pain patients to regain a dramatically improved quality of life,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why