Epilepsy may increase sleep-disordered breathing: Study
Melbourne: Patients with epilepsy may have an increased incidence of sleep-disordered breathing, a latest Australian study has found.
The link between epilepsy and obstructive sleep apnea, a condition where patients stop breathing at night is being taken as an interesting find.
Terry O`Brien of Royal Melbourne Hospital said there were some evidence from other studies that patients with epilepsy may have an increased incidence of sleep-disordered breathing, ABC reported today.
O`Brien said there were similar symptoms of daytime sleepiness and fatigue between the two conditions.
He said patients with epilepsy can gain weight as a result of their medications, something that increases their risk of sleep-disordered breathing.
"We put two and two together and thought we should look into this," he said.
Doctors had recruited 87 patients with epilepsy and monitored them in a sleep unit.
It was found that 25 per cent had significant sleep-disordered breathing that was severe enough to require treatment.
In the general population, the prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing is between three to seven per cent.
O`Brien further said that the recent research has shown that there was a well-established treatment for sleep-disordered breathing.
He said when epilepsy patients were given a CPAP machine, there was a significant improvement.
Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine helps a person who has obstructive sleep apnoea breathe more easily during sleep.
"The patients are having tremendous benefits, and they feel better because they are less sleepy," he said.
According to a sleep physician of Royal Melbourne Hospital, Jeremy Goldin, the fact that so many epilepsy patients have sleep apnea is a very interesting finding.
"We knew that patients with seizures were at an increased risk of sleep apnea; however, we didn`t expect an increase to the extent that we found," he said adding "If we can diagnose sleep apnea in these patients, we can start them on CPAP therapy [so] they can control their seizures, improve their sleep quality, improve how they feel during the day."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!