Exercise may help prevent brain damage caused by alcohol
Washington: Aerobic exercise can help former heavy drinkers to reverse the damage alcohol has done to the brain, researchers say.
The results of the study conducted by the University of Colorado Boulder indicated that regular aerobic exercise like walking, running or bicycling is associated with less damage to the brain`s "white matter" among heavy alcohol users.
White matter, along with gray matter, are the organ`s two major physical components. White matter is composed of bundles of nerve cells that act as transmission lines to facilitate communication between various parts of the brain, said lead study author Hollis Karoly, a doctoral student in CU-Boulder`s psychology and neuroscience department.
"We found that for people who drink a lot and exercise a lot, there was not a strong relationship between alcohol and white matter," said Karoly. "But for people who drink a lot and don`t exercise, our study showed the integrity of white matter is compromised in several areas of the brain. It basically means white matter is not moving messages between areas of the brain as efficiently as normal."
In the study, 60 participants with similar brain and clinical data underwent MRI scans of their brains.
All reported their level of alcohol consumption, loss of control over drinking, and aerobic exercise participation.
The researchers then examined relationships among exercise, alcohol, and the impact it had on areas of the brain.
The study found that the relationship between alcohol consumption and white matter depends upon how much people exercise, Karoly said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?