Financial stress may cause heart attack, back pain and migraines
Washington: Worrying about money can increase risks of several significant health problems – such as heart attack, ulcers, migraines, back pain etc. – a new study has suggested.
While it is not surprising that the main source of stress for most people is money, this new research has found just what people can expect from their worries.
In a comparison of people who had a high level of stress over debt and those who did not, it was found that people with high stress levels were twice as likely to have a heart attack compared with those who did not worry about their financial situation.
The poll, conducted by the Associated Press and AOL, also found that 27 percent of people with high stress over finances reported ulcers or digestive problems versus 8 percent of people who did not worry about finances.
Further 44 percent of people financially stressed reported having migraines versus 4 percent of people with low financial stress.
And 23 percent of people with financial stress were depressed, compared with 4 percent of people who were not stressed.
Highly stressed people were also 65 percent more likely to suffer from back pain and muscle tensions than those with low stress.
The good news is there is an easy way to avoid health problems associated with worrying about finances.
Additional research has shown that people who take an active role in planning and learning about their finances were less stressed and more confident in their financial situations.
According to a TIAA-CREF Institute study, people who are educated about their finances are more likely to save for retirement.
Additionally, attending a financial-training program increased people`s feeling that they were in control of their finances by 25 percent, according to a recent Metlife survey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray