Four more kids die of suspected encephalitis in Bihar
Patna: Four more children have succumbed to suspected encephalitis in Bihar`s Muzaffarpur and Gaya districts since Monday taking the death toll to 23 in nine days, officials said Tuesday.
The mosquito-borne disease claimed nearly 150 lives last year in the state.
This year, 15 children have died in Muzaffarpur and eight in Gaya.
Over three dozen children, suspected to be suffering from encephalitis, have been admitted to hospitals in both the districts.
"Nearly a dozen are battling for their life," said a health official.
The state government has directed the officials concerned to take measures including treatment of such patients.
"It is not yet confirmed why children are dying. I`ve asked top officials to identify the cause of deaths," said state Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey.
However, former union health minister and doctor C.P. Thakur said the children were dying because of an encephalitis-like disease.
"The symptoms are similar to encephalitis," said Thakur, who is state president of the Bharatiya Janata Party, a ruling alliance partner of the Janata Dal (United).
Rashtriya Janata Dal leader Ram Kirpal Yadav said that despite children dying of suspected encephalitis, neither Chief Minister Nitish Kumar nor the health minister had visited Muzaffarpur.
Muzaffarpur civil surgeon Gayan Bhusan said the children died after contracting high fever followed by convulsions.
Encephalitis is a condition of acute inflammation of the brain resulting either from a viral infection or when the body`s immune system mistakenly attacks the brain tissue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory