Gas stumps brain from recovery post-stroke
Toronto: Nitric oxide, which plays a key role in penile erections, could also damage brain cells (neurons) during stroke and hamper their recovery from the attack, say researchers.
Researchers from the Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute recently discovered that NO, produced by the brain, besides damaging neurons, also shuts down the brain`s repair mechanisms.
The discovery could potentially open the way to a new strategy for treating stroke.
Excessive production of NO contributes to the severity and progression of stroke and neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer`s, the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reports.
"In this study, we`ve uncovered new clues as to how natural chemical reactions in the brain can contribute to brain damage-loss of memory and cognitive function in a number of diseases," said Stuart A. Lipton, clinical neurologist at the Sanford-Burnham`s Neuroscience, Aging, and Stem Cell Research Centre, according to a Stanford statement.
Lipton, who led the study along with Sanford-Burnham`s Tomohiro Nakamura, said: "We might be able to develop a new strategy for treating stroke and other disorders if we can find a way to reverse nitric oxide`s effect on a particular enzyme in nerve cells."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in