Gene contributing to skin cancer identified
London: The genes contributing to a life threatening form of skin cancer have been identified for the first time by a research collaboration between the University of Dundee in the UK and scientists at Harvard and University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).
Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (CSCC) is the most frequently occurring life threatening skin cancer, according to a release of the Dundee University.
Unlike other common skin cancers, such as Melanoma and Basal Cell Carcinoma, the genes which are frequently mutated in CSCC have, until now, been unknown.
Now the researchers at Dundee, Harvard and UCSF have identified two highly related genes which are mutated in three quarters of all CSCC cases.
The gene mutations are also active in a significant proportion of SCC cases in the lungs.
The identified genes are known as `NOTCH` and the mutations are thought to inhibit normal barrier development, important processes in both the skin and lung.
Details of the research have been published in the journal PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences) USA.
"These gene mutations are a common factor in a form of skin cancer which is both common and life threatening," said Prof Irene Leigh, who led the Dundee end of the collaboration.
"By identifying these mutations, our group at Dundee, working with international partners, hopes to exploit the process of skin development to which these genes contribute to develop new cancer therapies capable of targeting skin and similar cancers such as lung SCC," said Professor Leigh, an internationally renowned expert in skin biology and disease.
She is also a Vice-Principal of the University of Dundee and Head of the College of Medicine, Dentistry and Nursing.
The research was carried out with Dr Andrew South and Dr Charlotte Proby in Professor Leigh`s laboratory at Dundee, together with colleagues at Harvard and UCSF.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22