Genesis of H7N9 influenza virus revealed
Washington: Genetic sequencing has been used by researchers to trace the source and evolution of the avian H7N9 influenza virus that emerged in humans in China earlier this year.
Working in three Chinese provinces, researchers led by Yi Guan , Ph.D., of the University of Hong Kong collected samples from the throats and digestive tracts of chickens, ducks, geese, pigeons and quail. Fecal and water samples from live poultry markets and the natural environment were also collected.
From these samples, the researchers isolated several influenza viruses and genetically sequenced those of the H7N9 subtype as well as related H7N7 and H9N2 viruses.
These sequences were compared with archived sequences of the same subtypes isolated in southern China between 2000 and 2013. The researchers compared the differences between the two sets of sequences to reconstruct how the H7N9 virus evolved through various species of birds and to determine the origin of genes.
According to their analysis, domestic ducks and chickens played distinct roles in the genesis of the H7N9 virus infecting humans today. Within ducks, and later within chickens, various strains of avian H7N9, H7N7 and H9N2 influenza exchanged genes with one another in different combinations.
The resulting H7N9 virus began causing outbreaks among chickens in live poultry markets, from which many humans became infected. Given these results, the authors write, continued surveillance of influenza viruses in birds remains essential.
The study has been published in Nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday