Genetics of drug resistant TB unravelled
Washington: A new method of analyzing whole genome sequences of TB has helped identify 39 new genes linked to the disease`s elevated drug resistance.
The new data suggests that acquiring resistance is a multistep process, perhaps requiring low-level resistance mutations prior to the ones that are well known.
The findings also suggest that some of these new genes are involved in resistance that may confer `global` resistance traits, helping strains become resistant to a group of antibiotics rather than just one or a single class.
To find the novel drug-resistance genes, Maha Farhat, HMS instructor in medicine and assistant physician at Massachusetts General Hospital,, Megan Murray, HMS professor of global health and social medicine and collaborators adapted tools from evolutionary biology known as `phylo genetics.`
The team examined the whole genomes of 116 newly sequenced and 7 previously sequenced strains of TB.
The sample included 47 strains with various levels of resistance to a variety of anti-TB drugs, as well as a group of susceptible strains, to allow the researchers to assess the genetic diversity of TB in the wild.
The method allows researchers to focus on the moments when resistant and susceptible strains branch off from one another. This silences the background noise of random mutations that aren`t associated with resistance.
The small elevation in the resistance levels suggest that resistance is more complex than previously recognized and that likely multiple small mutations may act synergistically to result in full-blown resistance.
The results have been published in Nature Genetics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'