Glaucoma main cause for blindness: Doctors
New Delhi: Glaucoma has emerged in recent times as one of the most corroborating factors for blindness among patients, doctors in the national capital said Wednesday.
It originates in the form of minor retinal disease and later because of late detection develops into glaucoma and leads to blindness.
"The Indian subcontinent is home to 12 million glaucoma and retinal disease patients. It is also on the verge of notching the top position for the maximum number of patients of glaucoma and retinal diseases," said Devinder Sood, director of Eye-Q Institute of Glaucoma, inaugurated here Wednesday.
The World Retina Week is being observed Sep 23-29.
According to WHO statistics, the prevalence of glaucoma in India is 2.6 percent.
Glaucoma is an eye condition where the optic nerve (nerve that carries information from our eyes to the brain) gets damaged usually due to raised pressure inside eyes.
"What makes glaucoma dreadful among many other eye diseases is its covertness," said Ajay Sharma, former opthalmologist from the All India Institute of Medical Science and chairman and managing director of Eye-Q.
"By the time people realise they are losing vision, most of the damage has already been caused," Sharma added.
Doctors suggest regular check-up to keep a tab on the disease.
"People staying in cities who rush to the doctor for every reason forget to do an eye check-up in months, which might prevent them from being aware of the eye disorders, which some time may lead to glaucoma," Sharma added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?