Grief could soon be branded a `mental illness`
Melbourne: The grieving process could be branded a medical condition if a mourner feels sad for more than two weeks and consults a GP, psychiatrists have claimed.
At present, mourners can feel sad for two months before being told they have a mental disorder, Professor Dale Larson said. Decades ago, a diagnosis could be made after a year.
In a keynote address at an Australian Psychological Society conference in Melbourne on Saturday, Prof Larson will express his anger about the American Psychiatric Association`s new diagnostic manual, DSM 5, which is used in many countries including Australia and New Zealand.
The manual allows a diagnosis of depression after two weeks of grieving, News.com.au reported.
According to Prof Larson, the manual undermines the legitimate feelings of the mourner and the help available from family, support groups, clerics and professional counsellors.
"We are essentially labelling grief a disorder. Now it becomes a target for drug development," Larson said.
Prof Larson, head of Counselling Psychology at Santa Clara University in the US, is concerned GPs will be dishing out prescriptions for anti-depressants.
"Almost all bereaved people believe they are depressed. But grief is a normal healing process and it resolves itself in most cases," Larson said.
"Bereavement-related depression is different from other kinds of depression.
"Medication, not psychotherapy, will be the major treatment because most people see their GP when they have an issue," he added.
He acknowledged support in Australia might be more focused on the needs of the mourner, who could take advantage of a Medicare benefit and consult a psychologist.
He said the focus should be on "helping the mourner figure out grief`s questions like, "What`s happening to me and how long will it last?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3