Grief could soon be branded a `mental illness`
Melbourne: The grieving process could be branded a medical condition if a mourner feels sad for more than two weeks and consults a GP, psychiatrists have claimed.
At present, mourners can feel sad for two months before being told they have a mental disorder, Professor Dale Larson said. Decades ago, a diagnosis could be made after a year.
In a keynote address at an Australian Psychological Society conference in Melbourne on Saturday, Prof Larson will express his anger about the American Psychiatric Association`s new diagnostic manual, DSM 5, which is used in many countries including Australia and New Zealand.
The manual allows a diagnosis of depression after two weeks of grieving, News.com.au reported.
According to Prof Larson, the manual undermines the legitimate feelings of the mourner and the help available from family, support groups, clerics and professional counsellors.
"We are essentially labelling grief a disorder. Now it becomes a target for drug development," Larson said.
Prof Larson, head of Counselling Psychology at Santa Clara University in the US, is concerned GPs will be dishing out prescriptions for anti-depressants.
"Almost all bereaved people believe they are depressed. But grief is a normal healing process and it resolves itself in most cases," Larson said.
"Bereavement-related depression is different from other kinds of depression.
"Medication, not psychotherapy, will be the major treatment because most people see their GP when they have an issue," he added.
He acknowledged support in Australia might be more focused on the needs of the mourner, who could take advantage of a Medicare benefit and consult a psychologist.
He said the focus should be on "helping the mourner figure out grief`s questions like, "What`s happening to me and how long will it last?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena