Heart failure linked with grey matter loss
Sydney: Heart failure may also linked to loss of cerebral grey matter and impaired cognitive functions -- which involves all aspects of perception, thinking, reasoning and remembering, a study reveals.
A cross-sectional study of 155 adults consisting of 64 controls (who had no heart disease), 35 with heart failure and 56 with ischaemic heart disease was used to show evidence of cognitive impairment and cerebral grey matter (GM) loss.
Osvaldo Almeida, professor of geriatric psychiatry at the University of Western Australia, said magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) allowed the examination of the impact of both heart failure and ischaemic heart disease (reduced blood supply) on cerebral grey matter, the European Heart Journal reported.
MRI was used to assess differences in the volume of GM in different parts of the brain. "It showed that people with heart failure display more widespread and extensive brain changes than adults with ischaemic heart disease," a university statement quoted Almeida as saying.
"It could be possible that patients with heart failure have trouble following complex management strategies, and therefore, treatment messages should be simple and clear," said Prof. Almeida.
According to Almeida, the findings show that heart failure could also affect emotions and mental activity.
"Health professionals and patients need to be aware that problems caused by heart disease are not limited to the heart," added Almeida.
The paper states that depression and cognitive impairment are the most frequent mental health problems among people with heart failure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams