Heart failure linked with grey matter loss
Sydney: Heart failure may also linked to loss of cerebral grey matter and impaired cognitive functions -- which involves all aspects of perception, thinking, reasoning and remembering, a study reveals.
A cross-sectional study of 155 adults consisting of 64 controls (who had no heart disease), 35 with heart failure and 56 with ischaemic heart disease was used to show evidence of cognitive impairment and cerebral grey matter (GM) loss.
Osvaldo Almeida, professor of geriatric psychiatry at the University of Western Australia, said magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) allowed the examination of the impact of both heart failure and ischaemic heart disease (reduced blood supply) on cerebral grey matter, the European Heart Journal reported.
MRI was used to assess differences in the volume of GM in different parts of the brain. "It showed that people with heart failure display more widespread and extensive brain changes than adults with ischaemic heart disease," a university statement quoted Almeida as saying.
"It could be possible that patients with heart failure have trouble following complex management strategies, and therefore, treatment messages should be simple and clear," said Prof. Almeida.
According to Almeida, the findings show that heart failure could also affect emotions and mental activity.
"Health professionals and patients need to be aware that problems caused by heart disease are not limited to the heart," added Almeida.
The paper states that depression and cognitive impairment are the most frequent mental health problems among people with heart failure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state