Hepatitis C: All that you need to know about the silent killer
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Hepatitis is an infectious liver disease caused by the hepatitis C virus (HCV). Its severity ranges from a mild illness lasting a few weeks to a serious lifelong sickness. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), about 150 million people are chronically infected with hepatitis C virus, and more than 350,000 people die yearly from hepatitis C-related liver diseases.
How Hepatitis C spreads?
Of the several hepatitis viruses, hepatitis C is believed to be among the most serious. Hepatitis C is transmitted through contact with infected blood. It can also be contracted through:
Sharing drugs and needles
Having unprotected sex with an infected person
From mother to baby during child birth
What are the signs and symptoms of Hepatitis C?
Generally, hepatitis C shows no signs and symptoms during initial stages. If signs and symptoms do happen, they may include:
Loss of appetite
Joint pain and jaundice
How can it be treated?
While hepatitis C can be treated using antiviral medicines, treatment is not always essential. Before undertaking any treatment, careful screening is vital for the patients to find out the most appropriate approach.
Interferon and ribavirin are used to treat Hepatitis C. Owing to scientific advancement, new antiviral drugs for hepatitis C have been developed, which may be more effective and better tolerated than existing therapies. As per the WHO, two new therapeutic agents — telaprevir and boceprevir — have recently been licensed in some countries.
Can Hepatitis C be prevented?
Currently, there is no vaccine for hepatitis C. But, the risk of infection can be reduced by following a few tips:
Avoid sharing personal care items like razors
Be cautious if you are getting a tattoo or body piercing, check if the apparatus being used is clean
Avoid having sex with hepatitis C-infected person or use a latex condom every time you have sex
Avoid sharing needles
If you are infected with hepatitis C virus, avoid spreading it by not donating blood or tissue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM