Herbicide `Agent Orange` exposure linked to prostate cancer
Washington: A new study has found a link between exposure to Agent Orange and US veterans` having lethal forms of prostate cancer.
The findings suggest that history of exposure to Agent Orange should be incorporated into prostate screening decisions for veterans.
To find a link between Agent Orange exposure and life-threatening, or high-grade, prostate cancer, Nathan Ansbaugh , MPH, designed and conducted analyses on a group of 2,720 US Veterans who were referred by multiple providers for initial prostate biopsy. Biopsy results and clinical information were compiled for analysis by principal investigator Dr. Mark Garzotto, MD, of the Portland Veterans Administration Medical Center and Oregon Health and Science University.
896 (32.9 percent) of the Veterans were diagnosed with prostate cancer while 459 (16.9 percent) had high-grade disease.
Agent Orange exposure was linked with a 52 percent raise in overall risk of prostate cancer detection by biopsy.
Exposure to the herbicide did not confer a raise in increase in risk of low-grade prostate cancer, but it was linked with a 75 percent increase in risk of high-grade prostate cancer.
In addition, Agent Orange exposure was associated with more than a two-fold increase in the highest-grade, most lethal cancers.
The study has been published in CANCER, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Cancer Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read