`Hidden` chicken pox in guts can cause stomach ulcers
London: Chicken pox virus can `hide` in our guts since childhood triggering stomach ulcers and also be a reason for unexplained stomach pain and bloating in adulthood, a new study has claimed.
Researchers from the Columbia University in US suggested that the `intestinal` chicken pox virus known as varicella zoster can remain locked away in the nerve cells of the gut.
When it breaks free, it triggers pain and tissue damage, and could be to blame for unexplained conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome (which causes cramping, bloating and pain), the Daily Mail reported.
The viral attack could lead to `pseudo-obstruction`, a serious digestive condition where the bowel stops pushing food through the gut.
"The idea of intestinal chicken pox is a new one," Professor Michael Gershon, one of the lead researchers said.
"We are now trying to learn whether disorders of the gastro-intestinal tract that have previously been of unknown origin are, in fact, due to the chicken pox virus," Gershon was quoted as saying by the paper.
In the latest study, six patients with gastric ulcers were all found to have the virus in their gut, following samples taken from their stomach lining.
One patient, a 16-year-old boy suffering with a large stomach ulcer, was found to have the chicken pox virus in all the cells surrounding the ulcer after it was surgically removed.
In another study, six children who had all had chicken pox were tested and shown to have the virus lying dormant in their intestines.
Further studies on guinea pigs confirmed the virus can live dormant in the gut, and can be reactivated when the immune system is low.
The research is being presented this week at a scientific conference in Calgary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader