High level of testosterone may speed up prostate cancer
Sydney: Higher levels of testosterone in elderly men might make an existing prostate cancer tumour grow faster, warn researchers.
They say men in their 70s and 80s with higher levels of testosterone, including those who undergo hormone replacement therapy (HRT), are at an increased risk of prostate cancer.
However, low testosterone in older men can cause loss of muscle mass, decreased sexual function, fatigue, mood changes, depression and impaired cognition, the journal Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention reports.
HRT may seem the best approach to relieve the symptoms, but scientists now believe more research is needed on this treatment to determine if it does help patients, according to a statement of the University of Western Australia.
The prostate is a small, walnut-sized structure that makes up part of a man`s reproductive system. It wraps around the urethra, the tube that carries urine out of the body.
Symptoms of prostate cancer are: delayed or slowed start of urinary stream; dribbling or leakage of urine; slow urinary stream, straining when urinating, or not being able to empty out all of the urine; blood in the urine or semen, etc.
Results from Australia`s largest healthy ageing study, The Health in Men Study (HIMS), has confirmed this link.
Zoe Hyde, from Western Australia`s Centre for Health and Ageing who led the study, said while higher levels of testosterone were unlikely to cause cancer, they might make an existing cancer grow faster.
However, he cautioned that this did not prove a cause-and-effect relationship.
"We need to conduct large-scale, long-term trials of testosterone therapy to see if this risk applies to men receiving testosterone," Hyde said.
The research is timely because the use of testosterone therapy is growing, and prostate cancer is very common in old age, Hyde said.
They say the possibility that high levels of testosterone could make prostate cancer grow faster is concerning. A cancer that would have gone undetected and never caused any problems might now affect health.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon