HIV infections double in older population in 10 years
Washington: Experts are encouraging sexually active adults aged 45 and over to indulge in safe sex after recent figures revealed that sexually transmitted infections in 50-90 year olds have doubled in the past ten years.
Rachel von Simson, medical student at King’s College London and Ranjababu Kulasegaram, consultant genitourinary physician at St Thomas’ Hospital London, revealed that 80 percent of 50-90 years olds are sexually active.
Statistics show an increase in cases of syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhoea in the UK, USA and Canada in 45-64 year olds.
There has also been an increase in cases of HIV with those aged 50 and over accounting for 20 percent of adults accessing HIV care, an 82 percent increase on figures from 2001.
This may however, be down to HIV patients living longer, but new diagnoses of HIV in the over 50s have doubled between 2000 and 2009.
There has been little research on the reason behind the increase but it is thought that due to physical changes, older, post-menopausal women are more vulnerable to STIs.
Furthermore, men on erectile dysfunction drugs are significantly more likely to be diagnosed with an STI within the first year of usage and in the year before starting the drug.
The researchers suggest that GPs should take the opportunity to discuss safe sex with men seeking erectile dysfunction drugs as they have a high risk of contracting an STI.
The authors report that the UK is currently lacking in STI research in older adults and more needs to be done, but concluded that “doctors should maintain a low threshold for investigating sexually transmitted infections in older adults” and should encourage discussions regardless of the patient’s age.
The study has been published in the Student BMJ, Rachel von Simson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka