Hope for mouth cancer treatment
London: A protein active in mouth cancer has been identified that could lead to new methods to treat the disease, according to a British study.
The protein FRMD4A is permanently switched on in cancer, and higher the levels, the more likely cancer is to spread and return, Xinhua quoted the Cancer Research UK as saying.
By blocking the protein, researchers were able to stop cancers growing and spreading, and increased the survival of mice with cancer.
"What`s really exciting about this research is that we already have potential drugs that can be used to target this protein," said Stephen Goldie, who carried out the study.
"The drugs could offer new options to patients where surgery and chemotherapy hasn`t worked or could be used alongside them," Goldie added.
The researchers said what is needed now is to start trials with this discovery, and it could make a real difference to people with mouth cancer in the future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’