Hope for sufferers of Alzheimer`s disease now closer to reality
Washington: Researchers have defined a key mechanism behind Alzheimer`s progress, giving hope that a newly modified drug will be effective.
A collaboration among several research entities, including the Salk Institute and the Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute, found that the binding of two proteins, alpha7Rs and amyloid beta, provoke detrimental effects in mice similar to the symptoms observed in Alzheimer`s disease.
Their experiments consisted in testing Alzheimer`s disease-induced mice with and without the gene for alpha7Rs. They found that while both types of mice developed plaques, only the ones with alpha 7Rs showed the impairments associated with Alzheimer`s.
In this new understanding of Alzheimer`s disease, there is a cellular signalling cascade, in which amyloid beta stimulates the alpha 7 nicotine receptors, which trigger astrocytes to release additional glutamate into the synapse, overwhelming it with excitatory ("go") signals.
This release in turn activates another set of receptors outside of the synapse, called extrasynaptic-N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors (eNMDARs) that depress synaptic activity.
Now that the team has finally determined the steps in this destructive pathway, the good news is that a drug developed by the Lipton`s Laboratory called NitroMemantine, a modification of the earlier Alzheimer`s medication, Memantine, may block the entry of eNMDARs into the cascade.
The study is published in The Journal of Neuroscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Awwdorable: Vivek Dahiya singing 'Lag Ja Gale' to Divyanka Tripathi will melt your heart – Watch
- Here's PV Sindhu's REPLY to Telangana deputy CM who offered her a 'better coach' than Pullela Gopichand