Hope for sufferers of Alzheimer`s disease now closer to reality
Washington: Researchers have defined a key mechanism behind Alzheimer`s progress, giving hope that a newly modified drug will be effective.
A collaboration among several research entities, including the Salk Institute and the Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute, found that the binding of two proteins, alpha7Rs and amyloid beta, provoke detrimental effects in mice similar to the symptoms observed in Alzheimer`s disease.
Their experiments consisted in testing Alzheimer`s disease-induced mice with and without the gene for alpha7Rs. They found that while both types of mice developed plaques, only the ones with alpha 7Rs showed the impairments associated with Alzheimer`s.
In this new understanding of Alzheimer`s disease, there is a cellular signalling cascade, in which amyloid beta stimulates the alpha 7 nicotine receptors, which trigger astrocytes to release additional glutamate into the synapse, overwhelming it with excitatory ("go") signals.
This release in turn activates another set of receptors outside of the synapse, called extrasynaptic-N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors (eNMDARs) that depress synaptic activity.
Now that the team has finally determined the steps in this destructive pathway, the good news is that a drug developed by the Lipton`s Laboratory called NitroMemantine, a modification of the earlier Alzheimer`s medication, Memantine, may block the entry of eNMDARs into the cascade.
The study is published in The Journal of Neuroscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes