Hypertension main link between erectile dysfunction, heart disease
Washington: Inability of the artery that supplies blood to the penis to expand and contract properly is the reason behind erectile dysfunction (ED).
The study of this mechanism has led to a new understanding of the important link between ED and the development of coronary artery disease, and to new strategies for prevention and treatment.
In the article 'Hypertension: The Link Between Erectile Dysfunction and Coronary Artery Disease,' Jacob Rajfer, MD, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, and Martin Miner, MD, Warren Alpert School of Medicine, Brown University, Providence, RI, proposes that hypertension negatively affects the flow of blood to both the heart muscle and the erectile tissue of the penis.
In both organs it appears to be caused by age-related cell death within the smooth muscle that lines the walls of the blood vessels.
Ajay Nehra, MD, Editor-in-Chief and Chair, Department of Urology, Director, Men's Health, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, said that the article further substantiates the correlation between cardiac disease, hypertension, and erectile dysfunction and provides healthcare providers with an insight into discussing the status of erectile function.
The study has been published online in the Journal of Men's Health.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump