Increasing incidence of liver disease in India
Kozhikode: The increasing incidence of liver disease and liver failure throughout the world was now also seen in India, Dr N Murugan, Consultant Hepatologist and Liver
Transplant Physician, Apollo Hospital, Chennai, said today.
Speaking to mediapersons here, he said that once the liver is damaged, a condition known as cirrhosis of liver sets in, which then leads to liver failure, liver cancer and death within a few months to years.
`The leading cause of liver disease in India is excess alcohol consumption and Kerala has the highest per capita consumption of alcohol`, he said.
In the initial stages there would be fat accumululation in the liver. This could be improved and even cured if the patients stop drinking and take regular medications, he said.
The other leading causes of liver disease and liver cirrhosis are Hepatitis B and C infections, which silently damge the liver over a period of years, he said.
`There is also an emerging disease of the liver called NASH (or fatty liver), mainly due to `westernisation` of our diet and a sedentary lifestyle, and associated disorders like obesity, diabetes and high triglyceride levels, he said.
The most effective treatment for patients with end-stage liver diesease was to undergo liver transplantation, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset